1) My life is likely to last 10-15 years. Any separation from you will be painful for me. Remember that before you buy/adopt me.
2) Give me time to understand what it is that you want from me.
3) Place your trust in me - it is crucial to my well-being.
4) Do not be angry with me for long, I won't remember why you're mad.
5) You have your work, your entertainment and your friends. I only have you.
6) Talk to me sometimes. Even if I don't understand your words, I understand your voice when you are speaking to me.
7) Be aware that however you treat me, I will never forget it.
8) Remember before you hit me that I have teeth that could easily crush the bones in your hand but I choose not to bite you.
9) Before you scold me for being uncooperative, obstinate or lazy, ask yourself if something might be bothering me. Perhaps I'm not getting the right food or I've been out in the sun too long, or my heart is growing old and weak.
10) Take care of me when I get old. You too will grow old. Go with me on difficult journeys. Never say "I can't bear to do this" or "let it happen in my absence." Everything is easier for me if you are there.
ALWAYS REMEMBER THAT I LOVE YOU UNCONDITIONALLY!
- Author Unknown
Friday, June 19, 2009