Thursday, October 16, 2003

it's the most wonderful time of the year...

As I pork up on some lunch I realize today is the best day of the year. This afternoon I get my annual check-up. Here's what I have to look forward to:

  • Waiting at least 30 minutes in the waiting room.
  • Reading 3,000 baby magazines that tell me my eggs are no good at my age and that I suck because I'm childless.
  • Being addressed as if I were a criminal/alien-with-a-booger-dangling by the front desk staff.
  • Attempting to pee into a little cup without getting it all over the place.
  • Washing my hands twice, maybe three times afterward.
  • Finding out just how freakin' fat I have gotten and having it recorded in INK.
  • Getting my blood pressure taken and having to ask what it is EVERY TIME. After all, it is MY blood pressure. I don't know why they think I'm not interested.
  • Being asked when my last period was which I have NEVER been able to answer without going through their stupid little calendar glued to the desktop.
  • Getting stabbed by that wonderfully thick fingertip needle that sinks directly into the bone of my finger. I actually hope they take it from my arm--at least that's interesting to watch and somehow I don't think it hurts half as bad.
  • Waiting another 40 minutes in the exam room with a giant paper towel wrapped around me. (But I am smart enough to bring my pocket PC and read e-books instead of the awful baby, parenting and Oprah magazines. No offense, Oprah.)
  • Being opened up with a giant can-opener by my gyn while a total stranger/nurse stares at my butt.
  • Laying there wondering what the stranger/nurse is thinking about while she stares at my butt.
  • Laying there wondering if I have bad breath or stinky feet and wishing I had brought socks but gladly realizing that my toenails are nicely painted.
  • Having the most sensitive tissue in my body excavated with a brush that feels like a giant steel wire mascara wand/engine-part cleaner.
  • Laying there with my fingers crossed hoping I don't have to get a "surprise" colposcopy (biopsies), which is quite like medieval torture without any painkillers. (I've hated my previously well-loved gyn ever since she did the first one. It's all I can do not to kick her in the head these days.)
  • Being reprimanded for not doing my BSEs on a timely basis.
  • Being reminded that I am due for a mammogram.
  • Being asked if I am going to have kids and told I have no time left if I'm going to.
  • Being told I'll probably have to have a hysterectomy sometime soon if the uterine fibroids return quickly. (I had several removed in November, one of which was the size of a grapefruit and another the size of an apple.)
  • Having my guts squished from South to North and East to West.
  • Getting a lovely stack of sample pills held together by a rubber band. (Glad I have my bigger purse with me.)
  • Receiving my new prescription which I am very likely to lose by the time I finish my sample packs.
  • Paying my co-pay and being treated like a criminal/alien-with-a-booger-dangling by the check-out staff.
  • Walking to my car feeling a little more pissed off than usual.

  • 0 comments:

      © Blogger template 'BrickedWall' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

    Jump to TOP