Tuesday, January 06, 2004

mixed nuts...

This could only happen to us. Last night my husband was dragging some stuff out of attic storage when suddenly I hear him screaming. I look up from my magazine and realize it was a real scream, not a "oh I stepped in cat poop" utterance. I run down the hall and open the door to what we call the "sunken room" where the attic storage door is and expect to see the rats from "Ben" lunching on my husband's eyeballs. Instead, I see this darling little squirrel, which turns out to be a Southern Flying Squirrel," sitting on the weight bench. I ran to get my camera. The reason my husband was screaming was because the "little darling" had jumped from the darkness of the storage room straight onto his chest!!! I'm surprised he didn't have a heart attack. We tried to capture the poor thing for a long time and finally gave up and shooed him back into the attic storage room. He jumps like a kangaroo and glides like a bird. Apparently we have lots of flying squirrels in our attic because we can hear them in the walls. We thought it might be rats, for which I can, with a great deal of guilt, set out poison. But, I can't exterminate these little beauties. We'll either call a critter removal/relocation team or just call them neighbors. Since we have no money, it looks like we'll be neighbors.
We had seen these little guys from time to time at night in our driveway, but never got a good enough look at them to really be able to identify them. More about the little nut-munchers here.

0 comments:

  © Blogger template 'BrickedWall' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Jump to TOP