Monday, November 24, 2003

if it only made sense...

Isn't this just a little weird? Here, come pet the one that we aren't going to kill and eat its body...of course we'll rip out the innards, the feet and other "unattractive parts." But isn't he cute? Nice little turkey. I could be a better vegetarian, as in I could read the label on EVERYTHING to make absolutely sure all ingredients were not derived from meat juices, etc., and I could NEVER buy leather shoes again (which I do try ever so hard, but break down about once a year in disgust of the poor veggie selection). I did totally eschew leather clothing and bags. But I used to buy about 5-10 new pairs of shoes a year, so it's better for the wallet as well! I just don't understand how we can be sweet to some poor animal and turn around and send it to a slaughterhouse where animals wail and poop on themselves while in line because they can smell the blood and death that awaits them a few feet away on the killing floor. Egads, we are terrible keepers of the Earth. We have the choice and we choose to kill. I think that separates us from the animal world--in a bad way.

So, to completely contradict myself, I am glad that the sniper got the death sentence. Save the turkey (he didn't do anything except gobble); get rid of the guy (because he terrorized and killed his fellow human beings with no regrets). Makes sense to me. There aren't many social worker-types who believe in the death penalty, but I do--but only for the truly unconscientable acts of murder, torture and terror and when guilt is truly beyond the shadow of a doubt. BUT, I could NOT pull the switch or plunge the barrel. Go figure.

I also don't believe in the insanity plea. Really... even though I believe people can be and are perfectly insane with mental illnesses beyond their control. It's like letting someone off because they are "sick and demented" or "uncontrollably angry." It's tragic, but everyone is culpable in my opinion. If you shoot my mom while you are having a hallucination, I think you should be held responsible. I think you SHOULD get help during the time served, but you shouldn't get off "easy" in terms of sentencing because of it. I wouldn't want to see your ass back out on the street a mere five years later because you got on anti-psychotics and you got to feeling better.

I must be feeling bitchy today. What the hell. Lunch is over.

0 comments:

  © Blogger template 'BrickedWall' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Jump to TOP