Wednesday, December 24, 2003

merry Christmas!!

I love Christmas. I really do. And to completely copy Lizzie's idea:

And the Grinch, with his Grinch-feet ice cold in the snow, stood puzzling and puzzling, how could it be so? It came without ribbons. It came without tags. It came without packages, boxes or bags. And he puzzled and puzzled 'till his puzzler was sore. Then the Grinch thought of something he hadn't before. What if Christmas, he thought, doesn't come from a store. What if Christmas, perhaps, means a little bit more.
-Dr. Seuss

I miss Dr. Seuss.

So, when I got home, the inevitable happened. I took the first niece's hat out of the running. I wasn't happy with it. The purple wool I made it with turned out to be a disappointment and wouldn't firm up the way I wanted it to. So I ditched it and laid out wool for TWO new hats--that had to be done in one night. These were "hats-on-a-ball" so I needed a partner to cover the wool with pantyhose (I'll explain this all someday with pictures so you can see what the process is). But hubby didn't get home until 8 p.m. Yikes! I was getting really nervous, especially since these hats were going to be the girls' main Christmas presents from us. But, as luck would have it, they both turned out really great and I actually got to bed at a decent hour. I used superfine Merino wool which felts really fast and smooth. I think I turned these two out at absolutely record time. No matter how bad I feel, felting almost always makes me feel better. It's great upper-body exercise and so satisfying to me. Now, the challenge is to get them DRY before tomorrow morning!!! Merino really hangs onto moisture. I guess the hairdryers will have to come out tonight.

Speaking of tonight....my family is coming over for a little potluck Christmas fun. My family is very laid back so I don't have to scrub the house with a toothbrush like some people feel obligated to do. It should be fun and the cats will be thrilled to have eight more hands in the house to pet them!

Then later tonight, hubby and I will exchange stockings and give the pups and kitties their presents. I will be sure to take pictures.

Tomorrow, we trek over to spend Christmas morning with hubby's family and the nieces. It should be fun and I will be excited to see the girls in their hats. They are really well-off financially and sometimes I really worry about them becoming spoiled. They get so many presents that they get TIRED of opening them. That's too much. They get everything they want all the time. Oh well, I don't have kids, so I guess I shouldn't talk, but I just worry that they will not understand the difference between things and love. I think that's why I like to MAKE something for them because it's not a store-bought luxury.

Hubby and I will exchange our few gifts somewhere in there...we haven't decided where we fit in the schedule just yet.

And I am so thankful for all the wonderful blessings I have enjoyed this year and continue to enjoy.

Whatever holiday you celebrate, I hope yours is filled with love and generosity of spirit!

OH, I ALMOST FORGOT: TODAY IS MY BROTHER'S BIRTHDAY---HAPPY BIRTHDAY BRO'!!!!! LOVE YA!

0 comments:

  © Blogger template 'BrickedWall' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Jump to TOP