Sunday, August 24, 2003

"ohmygawd, I'm in numbers..."

First of all, the person who said that should be exterminated like a nasty little roach. With that said, here's the story:

A former co-worker and good friend of mine decided to work at a department store cosmetic counter for a while after adopting a baby boy. She wanted more time with him. Some of the gals she worked with were really cool. I would stop by the counter when I was in the mall to see if my friend was working and I would meet her fellow frou-frous.

One chick really stuck in my mind though--what there was of her. She ate slim-fast with ice (like the ice was the added treat?) and popcorn. As far as I know that was it. When they had a lunch on the company, she brought her slim-fast. One day, my friend said she was mortified because she had gotten so fat that she was, *gasp,* "IN NUMBERS NOW." That's right, she had moved up from the toddlers' section to the pre-teens. She had crossed the threshold of no value to some value. She was no longer zero--she was one. I wish I had been there because I would have screamed, "Oh my God, I'm in mother-effin'-double-digits. What should I DO?!!"

First of all, she might think straight if she would eat something. Second of all, her husband, an athlete who should know better, put tremendous pressure on her to stay painfully thin. How many therapists does it take to...?

Girls, eat something. If you have to be thin to catch a man, I guarantee you the one you just caught is the wrong one. Be healthy. Laugh. Be happy. Be with someone who can be happy with you like you are.

This whole issue gets all up in my cornflakes (thanks M). I went through it when I was a teenager and I still get irritated when "ideal" female physiques are presented to us in magazines...bodies that are tiny. These are not bodies for everyone to strive for, they are body TYPES. I mean, my god, my BONES weigh more than some of these gals. They could shimmy inside my bone structure and have room to move.

Oh well...just be yourself. I promise you are a total bore if you aren't.

0 comments:

  © Blogger template 'BrickedWall' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Jump to TOP