Thursday, August 21, 2003

through the hubby telescope...

(Or, things I can't understand about men...)
One concept I have tried and tried to understand is "thinking of nothing." Sometimes, my husband will be staring off into space and I'll ask him what he's thinking about. "Nothing," he says. Then I say, "No, really, what are you thinking about?" And he reassures me that he is really not thinking about anything.

How can this be? I have tried for years to replicate this process in my own head. I can't think of "nothing." It's impossible. The harder I try to completely sweep my mind clear of thought, the more I am thinking about thinking of "nothing."

At first I thought this was a disturbing occurrence, but now it's my understanding that this is not an unusual phenomenon...other men can also think of "nothing." Does the mind shut down? Is there a drain that sucks out all of his thoughts everyday for a few moments to give his grey matter a break? There are no naked women running around the outskirts of a blank screen, no touchdowns going on in the background, no frothy heads of beer spilling into the abyss? Nothing?

The fact that my husband can think of "nothing" and know that he's been thinking of nothing--well, it just makes me short-circuit. The more I think about him thinking of nothing, the more I start blinking my eyes in disbelief. Nothing. It's like he has a passage into a black hole, the unknown, the anti-matter of matter.

I think this warrants a scientific study.

0 comments:

  © Blogger template 'BrickedWall' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Jump to TOP